A simple sew
I had an unexpected metre of fabric and unusually was struck with immediate vision and decisiveness.



I cut narrow strips up the side to become tie straps, folded, pressed and sewn in minutes. I turned, pressed and sewed along the top of my fabric.



I wound shirring elastic on to my bobbin and sewed seven or eight rows, working from the top down, using my machine foot as a guide.



This bit took more than a few minutes, but not very much longer and of course there was the satisfying pleasure of watching the fabric begin to gather and crinkle. I steamed the elastic and smiled as it crinkled up even more.

I sewed a seam joining the fabric sides together, just minutes. I turned a hem.



I made a dress.



In under an hour! And I tried it on, it would make a pretty good tunic type dress/top for an adult too. Clearly I would not wear it quite so beautifully though.

There are instructions for pretty much the exact same dress, but smaller, in the wonderful Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitching

Comments

Jen Walshaw said…
Thank you for your wonderful kind comment, you may have just inspired me to have a go ith the elastic thing!
anne smith said…
gosh i remember so well making dresses like that for my girls when they were little - a green one for chloe and a red one for vicky!! instant happiness as i remember.
Unknown said…
So sweet. Don't you love it when ideas work out perfectly?
It's a darling dress! Love the lil print. Yay for simple sews, they're my favourite kind :) And yes, why is it that it looks better on the young ones than on us ? :(
dottycookie said…
I have the fabric and the elastic all waiting to go. You may have just given me the motivation to stitch the wretched things!
Arianwen said…
It looks lovely! So jealous of the sunshine. Mine are still wearing winter woolies.
Georgina said…
Oh how I miss the days of shirring elastic and a yard of fabric making a whole dress........... and I miss ris rac too!!!
Andrea said…
My nan made me a dress like this a long time ago! I have been meaning to make some for my girls, off to check what fabic I have. Thanks for the inspiration x
silverpebble said…
I am gasping. It's stunning and I love how simple you made it sound.
kristina said…
So beautiful! Must give shirring elastic a go. Though guessing it will take me quite a bit longer than an hour!

K x

Popular Posts