Pick up a penguin

4:365

In second-hand book shops, and charity shops I always scan for Penguin spines. When faced with a sea of disorganised books the familiar spines offer a good starting point. I know there is sure to be a title to interest me amongst those distinctive coloured spines. I grew up reading Penguins, they feel familiar and reassuring.


I first saw Postcards from Penguin: 100 Book Jackets in One Box on the pages of Cornflower some months ago. I was quite green with envy (Penguin green?) and immediately hurried off to order a set of my own but it seems everyone else did too and they promptly went out of stock. I waited and waited.


Finally, just before Christmas, they were delivered to my eagerly waiting hands and they do not disappoint.

A pleasing book shaped box filled to the brim with 100 cards each featuring a different book cover. Of course, I bought these thinking how handy, perfect for quick thank you cards and whatnot. But each time I go to choose one, just one, to send off as a quick note I find it hard. I find I cannot set pen to card, cannot choose which card to part with. Yes, I am struggling to part with just one of these handy little cards. I daresay it's a bit like cutting into favourite fabric or knitting up a special ball of stashed yarn. I imagine that once I have written and sent just one it will be easier to part with the rest. Maybe.


Or perhaps I could frame them instead, like the seed packets. Yes, maybe I could frame them. All of them.

Comments

Ali said…
We had a few boxes in the shop and oh how I coveted them. When we sold them all to legitimate customers, I could have cried. None for me. Have you any idea how often that happens? Drives me spare each time.
rachel said…
Oh dear, I so understand your dilemma. I have a pack of 18 exquisite Japanese postcards that I can't bring myself to use; even 18 is a little too much to frame!
kristina said…
I did the same and rushed to Amazon only to see them all sold out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to send any--I'm terrible like that with favorite cards. But what an amazing wall that would be with them all framed up! Hmmm... K x
monica said…
I could never part with them either.... I totally understand.

(and yes frame them!!!))
arianwen said…
Oh I love them. I definately think they should end up on the wall
rainingsheep said…
Oh boy, I would NOT give them away, keep them, frame them or just enjoy looking at them.
queenofthefroggers said…
They are lovely! Framed would be the best idea. :)
Debbie said…
Those postcards don't even go on sale in the States until 10/2010

Popular Posts