Something from the weekend


Of course we all know that you are never too grown up to appreciate a twirly skirt and whilst simple twirl skirts like that of the last post may be rather unsuitable for those of us with a little more around our middle, ahem, there is a skirt pattern with marvellous twirlability and a flattering waistline.

I present to you the Yard-Sale Wrap Skirt from the excellentWeekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitchingby Heather Ross.


Should you make this skirt please be sure to check out the errata page on Heather's blog. I missed this, meaning that my skirt could do with an extra panel and necessitates the careful placing of a pin to avoid showing more of myself than the public would wish to have inflicted upon it.

I really like this skirt, I used Liberty Tana Lawn which w
ould have made it a rather indulgent skirt but I found the Liberty at a bargain price on Ebay so cutting into almost 3 metres of the stuff was not as painful as it might have been. The light fabric works beautifully with the shape of this skirt and it is just the right sort of skirt for a hot summer's day. I followed Heather's well written instructions (bar the errata) to the letter and the pattern came together very easily, I think next time I might skip the hand-rolled and sewn hem, it was a whole lot of hemming, maybe the ribbon technique would work?


Weekend Sewing: More Than 40 Projects and Ideas for Inspired Stitchingis a great book. Possibly my favourite of all the recent sewing book releases. There are more than 40 projects to choose from, ranging from the obligatory, but useful, drawstring bags and simple aprons to a fairly advanced and very polished looking shirt dress pattern and a rather cute tent. My favourites include the Kimono Dress with Obi Sash, I am keeping my eye our for the perfect fabric for this one.


The Summer Blouse which has been popular in blogland with lots of lovely versions popping up.


And the Trapeze Sundress, I just love a dress with pockets and a forgiving line.


I really do think this is one of the best sewing books on the market at the moment, it is nice to come across so many attractive and adaptable clothing patterns in such a user friendly format and the patterns are printed on sturdy paper for you to trace off, none of the dreaded scrunched up tissue paper. I cannot always justify my craft book purchases (shocking as it sounds....) but this one really does offer good value with plenty of really usable patterns interspersed with the odd recipe too, peach and basil salad anyone?

Comments

Selerit said…
I like this dress, it looks great. Thanks for sharing. Beautiful lady.

Popular Posts