On the other side


We are now well and truly on the other side of our move and the painful bits are beginning to blur. There were a few very painful bits, for the removal men too. Having had some totally shocking removal quotes I was quite happy to go with the guys who came in with a considerably less eye-watering price but it would seem their estimator guy had rose-tinted spectacles on the day he came to quote for the work was rather under-estimated and those men really did work their socks off, they pretty much sweated their socks off too as it would seem that we chose the hottest days of the year to move.


At one point it really did seem that the house would never be empty but eventually it was and there was just The Technical Advisor, the dogs, myself and an airbed. It was good of our neighbours to choose that evening to ask if we had ever noticed any strange occurences in the house.....Thank you Gail, it was good that when I woke up due to the sweltering heat at 2am my mind began churning over the whereabouts of the ghostly axe wielding gamekeeper rather than anxiety over what had been packed where, it proved quite the distraction!


The TA set off very early in order to arrive in Suffolk before the lorry and I left at a more reasonable hour collecting children on route. My very un-glamourous rickety old ride was packed to the hilt with a strange assortment of last minute items collected from around the house and the children and I hit the motorway heading South, full of excitement and nerves. Over the next 5 hours those feelings where overcome by sweat. It was so hot and let me tell you, a Landrover Discovery without air-con is actually a mobile conservatory, given our direction, a south-facing conservatory at that. It was not fun, not fun at all.


After what felt like the road journey through the firey pits of hell (and there are those who might say that the M6 actually may well be in the devil's control) we finally made it to Suffolk and the house we had only seen in photographs.


The photographs proved poor, the house is much better than I had hoped. The Technical Advisor did well, this house is has more light and space than our previous little cottage and how I love my bigger kitchen, I may not have finished opening boxes but I am already churning out bread and cakes, no longer the frantic nerve soothing baking of pre-move but a slower, gentler sort pottering type of baking. We are still getting used to a noisier way of countryside living; for village life, though for the most part quiet, is considerably louder than we are used to but we are making adjustments very fast and much as I miss my hillside and mountain views I am thoroughly enjoying those big wide East Anglian skies, the slightly warmer and certainly drier weather. I am enjoying my daily check on the acres of wheat at the bottom of the garden, my eyes soak up the warm golden glow against the everchanging sky. I love the many farm shops and roadside stops with their abundance of ripe juicy soft fruit and our walks through the village which take us past orchards laiden with apples and plums.


And now I think perhaps I must go open another box but I will be back here soon. Thank you so much for all the recent comments and emails, they have brought me so much pleasure, I am sorry I have not been able to reply but normal service should resume now.


Comments

Popular Posts