An outift for brunch, lunch, dinner, breakfast, or maybe just to go to the park in..


I have been dying to talk about this pattern which was completed back in January and appears as a review in the current issue of the rather good Sew Hip Magazine.


When I put my hand up to say that I would be happy to review sewing patterns for the magazine I had no idea what might come my way. As
you can imagine, I was over the moon when the Oliver & S Sunday Brunch outfit arrived, in fact, I may even have given a little whoop. Yes, I really do whoop over sewing patterns, knitting patterns have the same effect.


I bought the wool fabric from a local mill months and months ago. It was one of those impulse purchases and it has been waiting patiently in a drawer ever since. I instantly knew that it had found its destiny in this little jacket, not too bulky and with a good drape, lovely and soft to wear.
I used a brown needlecord for the skirt and trimmed the pockets with the wool fabric just to tie it all together.



The Oliver & S patterns are not so easily available in the UK but in case you were wondering if they are worth the trouble and expense of getting hold of then I suggest you worry not. This was a fantastic pattern to work with, every little detail has been thought of and the instructions are very well written and easy to follow. I learned a great deal working with this pattern and am very taken with the seam binding technique.


See, so pretty. I love these seams, I spend an alarming amount of time admiring these pretty seams, they make my heart beat faster (I know, I know, but I've told you before, I am easy to please, after all, I whoop over patterns!)


This pattern is definitely transferable to most seasons and I will probably make a more summery version soon. The jacket would work beautifully in linen, perhaps with a bright printed seam binding to match a printed skirt.
I see that Liesl has recently added some new patterns to the range and I am itching to get my hands on more of her designs. The little sailboat outfit looks like fantastic value, so versatile, so many combinations and unisex too.


If you have been dithering over purchasing an Oliver & S pattern then I urge you to dither no more, they are beautifully presented and printed on a heavier weight tissue paper, which I just cannot begin to tell you how much easier this is to work with compared to the traditional tissue paper used by the larger companies. If you take your time and follow the instructions carefully you will have a really professional looking garment and of course, if you trace your pattern pieces off first you will be able to use it over and over, making it an absolute bargain. I don't take much persuading do I? Hmmm, off to get my purse then....

Oh and in case you were wondering, yes there was whooping. Lots of whooping when I opened the magazine and saw my review and my photographs, then a great deal more whooping when Miss Tilly got home from school and saw her very own self right there in a real magazine.

Comments

Popular Posts