In the dead of night


In the dead of night while I lie awake desperately wishing I was asleep, it is easy to compose blog posts. My mind is alive with them, wonderful, varied posts spill forth amongst the worries and the indecisions which revolve around and around my weary head, keeping me from my precious sleep.


Come morning those posts have all receded back into the farthest corners of my mind and all those worries and concerns seem easier to manage or ignore.


Perhaps I should just get up and write them down there and then but I am too scared to leave my bed, too worried that I will never get back to sleep and will face the day tired and grumpy, short-tempered and unable to enjoy my precious pair of monkeys and this last week of their school holidays.


This summer has gone too fast, why do they seem to go quicker with every year? Dylan and Tilly are growing so quickly and I often wish I could pause time, just hold on to these moments a little longer, be able to savour and enjoy without the need to get the washing on the line or start the dinner, to pay a bill or shop for uniforms. More time to luxuriate in the smell of sunshine on my children's skin, to watch a five year old absorbed in reading by herself, time to help build the tallest tower of blocks ever, more time to watch them play "ice-cream café " with a sink of soapy bubbles.


I held a tiny baby this weekend, 6 weeks old and perfect, it was a wonderful feeling, that soft baby head against my shoulder, that sweet, milky smell; but tinged with sadness too, sad for what is gone already.

And yes, I repeated myself yet again when it came to the baby gifts. The little Debbie Bliss Cashmerino tank top, I've made it before but it really is worth repeating. A little mouse toy too. It's been quite a while since I made one of these toys and this is the first time I have used linen. No clothes for this fellow, just a jaunty neckerchief.

Re: The leftover Shosenshi, as several of you expressed an interest I decided it would be fairest to put the names in a hat (or a bowl in this case), the name pulled was Elizabeth, who incidentally was the first person to say she would like to try it, so very fitting I guess. Elizabeth can you please email me your address?

I just wish I had more leftovers to share and will certainly do the same thing again should I have any unusual/expensive yarns. Wouldn't it be super if yarn companies/shops would offer little sample sized quantities, enough to knit a swatch perhaps, some of these stranger yarns can be very hard to visualise when purchasing on-line and even when you do get to touch and look the actual knitting can be very different.


Comments

Popular Posts