A little more quilting



In the last year I have made a few handmade cards and really enjoy the process of coming up with an idea and trying to see it through. It is time consuming but a welcome distraction from, say the laundry or something equally unexciting. The little quilted card above was made to serve as a thank you for a recent dinner outing we enjoyed.

At the same time I made this birthday card for a friend (he owns a travel agency, hence the theme). Sorry about the terrible photograph, what little light there had been that day was completely gone and I was in a hurry to deliver the card. The recipient opened it and imediately complimented the maker, sadly he believed the maker/makers to be Dylan and Tilly. Humph!


I am still working on the quilt for my Godson, in case you thought I had abandoned it for ever. Once I accepted that it absolutely would not be ready in time for the Christening I sort of put it down for a couple of weeks. However about 10 days ago it once again became the centre of my attention and I have been steadily handquilting. As a result of the hand quilting it would seem I have lost a lot of sensation in two of my fingertips, I think my technique may leave a lot to be desired but the quilting is now complete and I just need to figure out the binding. As I mentioned before this has been my very first quilt and it has been quite a learning exercise but the my enthusiasm for quilting has not been dampened and I do plan to begin another one soon.



Thank you for all the lovely comments on the cake, I really enjoyed reading them. To tell the truth I don't think I would even have dreamed of attempting something like that pre-blogging days. Writing my own blog and reading the blogs of others has made me try so many new crafts and think in a more creative way than I have done for years. I am so thankful for the day I discovered my first creative blog and the whole world it has opened up to me. I fear my housework may have suffered a little as I have less time to spend on it now but nonetheless my life is definitely the richer for blogging.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Rebecca,

You really have a quite a knack for quilting. I tried and tried a couple of years back. I just couldn't get the knack of cutting and seaming everything identically. Your cards and your Godson's quilt look absolutely wonderful.

As for WordPress? I love it! It is so easy to implement. I was a MovableType gal for years, but it was very time-consuming to upgrade and implementing certain plugins was a nightmare. I can't say enough about WordPress. Its really a blogger's dream for me.
Anonymous said…
I love the cards! I love Tilly's Kinky Cake! Serious supermother points for that effort.....
Charity said…
You are so right - I find I do much more crafty things since I've been blogging!

Love the progress on the quilt - what a wonderful gift to share! :0)
Anonymous said…
I was wondering how the quilt was going. It looks really good. And it definitely has a boyish look to it now. I'm sure he will treasure it and keep it for a long time. Perhaps it will become his favourite "blankie" and go with him everywhere.
yvette said…
I love your cards they are very sweet, the quilt is looking fab, can't wait to see it finished.
Katie said…
What lucky friends and relatives you have!
Anonymous said…
I am absolutely with you, what you have said about blogging, it changed my life and I dare now more than before to try new things.

Your quilt is so lovely, I love the colours and the different patterns, they work so well together. You have it done all by hand? All those tiny patches? I would never have the patience to do so. I am planning a quilt for such a long time now, and yours is so nice, your words are encouraging so
I think I really should give it a try, too.
Love your cards, so charming.
Stephanie said…
I find it so inspiring to see what others are doing - to get a little taste of lives being lived in far away places as well.
Thankyou for your comments - and my crochet critter, also now known as Tiny Terrance, also thanks you.
Anonymous said…
LOVE LOVE LOVE that quilt.
: )

Popular Posts