Frantic Quilting


The extra fabrics I ordered for the Christening present quilt finally arrived on Monday so I have been pressing on ever since but as we are due to travel down this Friday it is very unlikely that the whole thing will be completed. I am cross with myself, for once I was very organised, I started planning this quilt months ago and yet still I haven't managed to complete in time. Anyway, this is how it's looking with the new fabrics. The stronger red stripe gives it a much bolder (and hopefully more masuline feel) and I have changed the blue and pink stripe for a blue and white stripe. I left the flower, after all, this baby has a bossy older sister so there are going to be some flowers in his life whether he likes it or not.

Caroline suggested changing the stripe directions which sort of went against my original idea but seems to work better in this case. Interestingly my husband made the point this seemed more uniform than my usual style, I hadn't realised I was an un-uninform type but perhaps I am... I still need to decide what to do about border and backing, I was thinking the blue stripe? Of course in my heart of hearts I think a little floral rosebud type sprig would be scrumptious and would mix it all up a bit but there I go with all the girlieness again, I am finding it very hard to think "boy". All ideas gratefully welcomed.

Duh, I am editing this post for the 3rd time, I think I need to increase fish oil intake!

Comments

caroline said…
The quilt is looking fabulous. I think you could border and back it with any of the fabrics. I certainly wouldn't mind getting it a little late if I was the lucky recipient.
Sue said…
Your quilt looks gorgeous. You could always back it with just the red striped fabric, and then it would be quite suitable for a little boy. I love your little dresses that you made Tilly too, quite nice, and yes I know what you mean about having your own fashion designer in the house, my 5 yr old is the same. The giraffe is quite sweet too, I must make some of those softies soon too.
RooKnits said…
It looks amazing! I so need to learn to do this. I agree that the red striped fabric would look fab and make it bold and boyish
Charity said…
I really like the layout you ended up with! And I hear you on the border fabric - I like to throw in a little floral, no matter who it's for!
Alice said…
I just checked it against the original one and it's not only much more vibrant but it has a very fresh and crisp feel to it, too. It's lovely. I think you're sure to make a good choice for the border. Sure of it.
Anonymous said…
I love the way your quilt is looking now! Perhaps the blue stripe would be nice for the back. I'm sure the mom will be fine with receiving it a little late. Mothers know what other mothers struggle against--there's not always quite enough time in the day to do all the things we want to do.
Twelfthknit said…
boys can have flowers too!
India
Stephanie said…
Its looking beautiful! And try not to stress too much as you work on it - I mean, I know because I do that too when I have time constraints, but I am learning that when I relax in myself, and take some of the pressure off to get things absolutely perfect, they work out anyway. I have had a number of occasions recently where I decided, nope, not going to happen on time and I accepted that...and then...somehow...they did!
Stephanie said…
Thankyou for your wonderful comments on my blog! You made my day.
alltangledup said…
this combination of colours and pattern works really well.

what a lucky child. No doubt that this will be kept as a heirloom for future generations to enjoy
Twelfthknit said…
There is a reason why I can't have a flowery dress and wellies - my sewing is diabolical. I have the Niss Twiss pattern for the hustle bustle skirt but I've had no time to get to it - maybe at Christmas. It'll take me ages to do...
Inda
Anonymous said…
That's lovely Rebecca. I'm quite tempted to try a baby quilt for some friends who are expecting in January - don't know whether it's a boy or girl tho' which would make fabric decisions hard !

PS India, if you need a hand with your skirt just shout. Happy to help !
Artis-Anne said…
The quilt looks fabulous; funnily enough there are a few ladies at my SWD Guild who are fab quilters and yesterday I was looking through the American mag of fabrics that they were ordering from and was tempted BUT I restrained as I have WAY too may addictions at present. Many thanks about your comments re my Ella , likewise if I see you walking around with that fab bag , watch out !!! Oh and I loved your new toy ;I really would like a copy of that book to make toys for our little Emily. Can I ask where you got it ?
Anonymous said…
Great sewing - as usual. I love the dresses and the quilt.
Twelfthknit said…
Tithe - the pattern states 350g for the size I did. I need to weigh it to find out how much I used, sas I messed around with the balss a bit - I'll try to do that some time today or tomorrow.
India
Anonymous said…
That's what you're trying to tell me, Ryan?
hydrocodone side effects vicodin

Popular Posts